Thursday, February 12, 2009

Mom's Next Adventure

Well let's start with Tuesday night. Greg & I went out to dinner with Greg's brother & his wife in Sandy. When we got home around 9:30pm mom called me into her room and said that her ankle was really sore and felt swollen. She said when she stood up she heard a crunch and popping sound on her ankle that she just had surgery on the week before. I gave her a 1/2 percocet and we went to bed. Around 1am mom was calling for me and was in total agony so I gave her another percocet (full dose) and we then called the ambulance to come and get her to take her to the hospital. They did x-rays on her ankle and everything looked great nothing moved didn't see anything changed. I had them keep her over night for observation.

Next day I called the hospital and they said they were releasing her as the x-ray technician also said no change and that it was all good. I proceeded to get things ready to get her to come home. Her kidney doctor calls me 10 minutes before I'm suppose to have everyone meet to bring her home telling me that they are transferring her to St. Marks Hospital in Salt Lake because her labs came back and they weren't good. That her numbers have fluctuated way too much from month to month that I think I need to see her, he said. I rushed to the hospital and we talked and mom said "Did you hear the latest" I said I had. We got her dressed and ready for transport that took place around 1130am they left. I ran home and threw a few things into a bag grabbed her CPAP (breathing machine for sleep apnea) and drove to Salt Lake to St. Mark's hospital.

When I got to her room the doctor was there and was discussing what he thinks needs to happen. Around 3:30p they took her down and the put in a catheter in her neck to start dialysis treatments today. She should be getting her first treatment of 2 hours anytime. Tomorrow will be 2 1/2 hours and Saturday will be 3 hours they progress to 4 hours per treatment. Our next step is figuring how to get her to the U of U for her treatments when she finally comes back home. She seems to be in good spirits through this whole mess but I think it is because she knows she'll feel better once they start this treatment. I'll try my best to make updates; but I haven't been very good about that lately. Just check back often and see if there is anything new.

No comments: