Friday, August 29, 2008

Summer is Almost Over

You know when summer is over because you pull out the chain saws and go up into the mountains and cut down 9 trees for heat. Yes, Greg and I went wood hauling this last weekend. In fact we went Saturday and Monday and will need to go one more time just to make sure we have lots and lots of wood. We have a wood burning stove and we don't want to run out or come up short. It really does get cold in Heber and it smells like your camping all winter long.

Saturday we took our dogs with us and they had a blast running around sniffing everything and jumping in the stream and playing fetch. My chainsaw (yes I said my chainsaw) was having issues and we couldn't get it to behave. We finally called it quits on mine and Greg did all the cutting.

I was the lucky one to play fetch with the dogs for 4 hours. I finally sat down under some trees and to cool the dogs down and keep them out of Greg's way and something fell out of the tree above. I didn't pay any attention to it until it started moving. I freaked out, because it fell in my lap and to my surprise it was a BAT!! Yes a real live bat with the fuzzy body and nylon looking wings I screamed and jumped up and kicked at it before I knew what it was. Ran towards Greg doing the EWWEWW dance. He looked up at me and he said what is your issue. I said a bat fell on my lap. He said is it dead? I don't know but I kicked it and ran, I said. He stopped cutting and said where is it? We started looking for it and found it on the ground a few feet from where I was sitting. Greg tried to help it but it just squawked at him and he said "Fine lie on the ground and die" and we just tried to keep the dogs away from that area. I moved to the other side of the truck as far away as I could get.

Needless to say the tree we were cutting down took all day because it was huge. I'll have to take a few photos of how huge this tree was. It is now in our shed waiting to be split into smaller pieces to fit in our stove. It filled our trailer and part of our truck to get it out of the woods. We cut down two trees that day and then called it a day and went home. We have a large pile of wood on our deck as well that we are going to split and then stack by the back door so we don't have to go out to the shed until we run out. It usually takes a month to use up the wood by the door. We ordered Papa Murphy's for dinner (Pizza) and it was yummy! Called it a night and laid around the rest of the night.

Monday we had a few errands to run before we went wood hauling again. We took the dogs to the vets to get their checkup and Mardigan got an allergy shot because he was chewing on a spot and he had pulled out all the hair in that area. We were afraid it was something else but the vet said oh no it is just allergies. Gave him a shot in the hind end and shaved the area to make sure it wasn't infected and sent us on our way. We also had to go to Home Despot (depot) for chain saw oil and blades so we can cut down more trees and not only have one chainsaw to get the job done. We went up to the mountains and found a great spot that had several trees that were dead that we could cut down. We stopped and Greg got out and started on the first tree. Once he was done I started cutting it into pieces while he was cutting down the second tree. Well what was really nice is that whoever was using that campsite had cut down a tree and left it there. It looked like a full tree. We took that as well. Why not! So that was our three trees and we were full beyond capacity and loaded and tied it all down and went home.

We were starving and went to Wendy's for lunch/dinner since it was already 430pm by the time we got the wood unloaded and the trailer unhooked. We even took showers before we went to eat. We were exhausted and didn't want to do anything else. Unfortunately we both had to work the rest of the week. But the nice thing was that we actually had a showing on our house, don't know anything else. So we now have a clean house.

This weekend is Swiss Days and the Sheep dog Championships in Midway for Labor Day weekend. Mom and I are planning on going to the Swiss Days market and look at all the crafts and have a lot of food. I'll try to remember to take some photos with my camera while I'm out and attach them to my next blog.

1 comment:

Janna said...

Hi Chrisann! I love this blogging world you run into lots of old friends. Good to hear from you